The history group have produced a walk booklet that features many of buildings mentioned on the site (including racing stables, mills, manor houses and ‘lost’ pubs). The walk is a booklet that can be downloaded and printed: Wroughton Village Walk
Early man found the Wroughton area supplied much of his needs, excellent defensive high ground, adequate water supplies, timber and good farming land. Earliest recorded finds show evidence of hunter gatherers from c8,500BC and occupation from c3,200BC. Evidence of Iron age and Roman settlement has been found in the village during the construction of the new houses off Marlborough Road and at the site of the airfield during the construction of the new Science Museum facility.
We have two maps of the village – one from 1773 pre-enclosure and one from 1815 after the enclosure
With its two streams Wroughton became a natural choice to site watermills.
At one time the village had seven mills
Pavey’s Mill built in 1771
A walk along Perry’s Lane circa 1910
Perry’s Lane today! Not so rural
A 1934 picture of Haskins Garage – Rover dealers for sixty years
Haskins Garage – modern day
Wroughton Manor stood at bottom of Priors Hill – photo circa 1950
Priors Hill today – site of manor
Lister’s factory 1960 – now the site of a modern housing estate